Monday, January 22, 2007

Whaddaya Think..??

This post is for all you Helpy Helpertons out there. My project is my living room and I need suggestions from you. Maybe this will get the comments coming.

My living room consists of copious amounts of dog hair, magic markers, Transformers, piles of dvds, Polly Pocket Paraphenalia and these items:
One brown leather sofa (JC Penney online: $689.00)




One brown leather chair (JC Penney online: $449.00)


One brown leather ottoman (also JCP: $249.00)



One Magiker entertainment center (Ikea online: $600.00 +/-)




*note that the lovely sofa and chair photos are NOT taken in my living room but in the JC Penney design studio by professional photographers.

Now this is where I start, with extremely neutral furnishings and a crap-load of ideas. I just can't narrow them down to one that will work for my entire family.


Husband: likes blonde wood (like the finish on the Magiker) the colors: green, brown, black, some red, some yellow. Likes woods and natural looks along with sparse, streamlined, (whether it be modern or shaker) also loves touches of whimsey, eclectic looks, weird movies, fast cars and loud music. Does not like: pink, purple, lavender, florals, dark woods, formal or traditional style, clutter, too much blue, indie films and pop music.

Self: likes all wood finishes but has no idea how to mix them, pale blues, greens and blue-greens, yellow, brown, tan, nature themes, bold patterns, shiny things, rounded shapes, some pinks, some corals, cowhide, streamlined but cozy, mid-century modern, lots of light, branches and buds, dogs, eclectic style with touches of whimsey. Does not like: purple, too much red, ugly things, too much pattern, anything that the cats want to scratch.

The House: Older farmhouse in a southern Vermont ski town. Livingroom is a decent size, three windows and two doors with lovely trim (painted white) wood floors (honey toned) and that nasty popcorn ceiling.

Family: Four children ages 12, 10, 8, and 4. Three dogs (2 big and 1 little). Three cats (scratchy and stinky). And we are in the process of adopting four children from Ethiopia ages 12, 11, 10, and 9.

Use: Watching TV, movies, playing video games, reading, drawing, toy playing, napping, dog lounging, etc etc etc.
Okay, people, if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know. I would love to get a bit of 'outside' advice on this.

4 comments:

I *heart* Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I *heart* Martha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I *heart* Martha said...

I apparently can't read. I thought you were asking for opinions on the leather and the entertainment cabinet. But after a cup of coffee, I re-read and realized that you already had those things. Very nice! Love the leather.

I think if you incorporated some blues/teals/turquois into your decor it would spice up the room. The blond wood and the dark leather are begging for some color. And a chenille throw blanket for the chair will soften the room a little.

As for window treatments, I am still one for 84" panels regardless of the height of your window (my MIL would disagree). Can you sew? Maybe you could buy the fabric and make them yourself. I am sort of done on "tab-top" so if you buy them packaged, I would get a nice rod with a pole top panel.

Take some pictures of your kids in black and white and hang them in similar larger frames (they don't have to match) behind the couch or on the wall with the windows. That is a v. inexpensive way to do "art" in your home.

Good luck! Hope this helps. And you should def. get the VT map pillow. What a great addition to your room :)

Unknown said...

Love her ideas about the kids in black and white. I am in awe of your family size. Can't wait to read more of your weblog.